* Alaska is as big as England, France, Italy and Spain combined
* Only one city in Alaska has a larger population than the town of Framingham, Mass. (which has less than 70,000 people)
* If New York City had the same population density as Alaska, only 16 people would be living in Manhattan
* Alaska's largest city, Anchorage, covers 1,955 square miles (including the entire political municipal district). The state of Rhode Island covers 1,045 squre miles while Delaware also covers 1,955.
* More than half the world's active glaciers are in Alaska.
* About 5 percent of Alaska is covered by glaciers.
* There are more than 3,000 rivers and 3 million lakes in Alaska.
* Alaska is one-fifth the
size of the "Lower 48," larger than the next three biggest states combined,
more than twice the size of Texas and 488 times larger than Rhode Island.
Back to photo index Back to Sharon's home page
Back to Sharon's home page